above: A later map showing the tramway system with some alterations. The pink dots show the line of the present day Beaulieu to Buckler's Bard footpath. Sadly, there is no trace of the old tramway.
In 1790 a brickyard opened at Bailey’s Hard – which lies roughly
mid-way between Beaulieu and Buckler’s Hard. The works made red and
white bricks and tiles, drainpipes – and even flowerpots.
Bailey’s Hard bricks were used in the construction of Southampton
Docks in the 1840s and 50s and in the construction of Southampton Eye
Hospital in Bedford Place.
It was around this time that a tramway was built to take clay from
the pits in Coles Coppice to the brickyard. The line ran roughly
parallel to the existing gravel road and was probably operated by
horses - the clay pit being considerably higher than the brickworks.
The rails and wagons used on the line were purchased from the
above: An excerpt from the Estate Audit Ledger 1813-1850, detailing an order for railway works on the estate.
There was also a proposal in to build a railway from the brickyard in Bignall's Wood to Carpenter’s Dock, now the location of a house in Dock Lane on the north-east side of the Beaulieu River. This was presumably intended to take bricks, tiles ands pipes to the water where they could be loaded onto barges for onward transport but it is not clear if this was ever built.
The route of the Bailey’s Hard tramway seems to have been altered in around 1871 to accommodate a new clay pit. The track bed also appears to have been lowered and a new curved line added in the area of the yard. It is thought that the tramway continued to be used until the 1920s. The brickworks closed in 1935.